• May 09, 2021, 09:28:24 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Due to receiving thousands of spam membership join requests a day, memberships now must be manually created. Refresh the page until you see the instructions in the News line :)

Author Topic: World Lymphoma Awareness Day  (Read 5362 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 533
  • Karma: +0/-0
World Lymphoma Awareness Day
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »

Raising awareness on World Lymphoma Awareness Day

World Lymphoma Awareness Day is held on September 15 every year to raise awareness of lymphoma. It provides a focus for doctors, nurses, patient support groups, patients and their families to join forces in a united campaign to inform the wider community about lymphoma, its signs and symptoms and how it affects lives of thousands of people around the world.

Did you know?

Lymphoma is the fifth most common cancer in Australia, causing more deaths than melanoma but community awareness is low. You might be surprised to learn that this year, it is projected that over 5,500 Australians will be diagnosed with lymphomas; equivalent to 13 people every day. It might also be news that lymphoma affects more women than cervical and ovarian cancers, and accounts for around 50% of all blood cancers.

Lymphoma is a general term that includes 35 different sub-types of blood cancer. Lymphomas are a cancer of white cells produced by the bone marrow and matured in the lymphatic system. The cancer may originate in the lymph glands or organs such as the liver, spleen, bowel or bone marrow.

There are two main types of lymphoma. Hodgkin lymphoma accounts for about 10% of all lymphomas diagnosed, and non-Hodgkin lymphomas which represents the remaining 90%.

Who develops lymphoma?
Lymphomas can develop in anyone at any time. In the past few decades, the incidence of lymphoma as more than doubled for no known reason and continues to increase in incidence rapidly in Australia. More research is needed to understand why these diseases occur.

What are the symptoms of lymphoma? How is it treated?
Symptoms of Lymphoma are often generalised and may be hard to detect. Symptoms may include flu-like symptoms, painless swelling of glands, night sweats, unintentional weight loss, generalised itching and fatigue.
Treatment depends on the type of lymphoma, the stage of the disease and how fast it is likely to develop and cause problems in the body. Chemotherapy, radiotherapy, biological therapies and stem cell transplantation are all treatment options.

How the Leukaemia Foundation helps
Despite our name, we work with more people impacted by lymphoma than with any other blood cancer or related blood disorder.

Vision to Cure - Our National Research Program funds several lymphoma specific projects. One of these is harnessing the body’s own immune system to beat lymphoma. This involves understanding how lymphoma cells evade the immune system and developing new, targeted therapies.

Mission to Care - Of course research is a longer term activity which needs to be balanced with services to care for people living with lymphoma today. We have an extensive range of free services to support people with lymphoma and their families. Information, education, emotional support, transport to and from hospital as well as accommodation for people required to relocate to the city for treatment are some of the ways we help.

More information

    * Learn more about WLAD activities
    * Learn more about lymphoma
    * Learn more about the Leukaemia Foundation’s services
    * Learn more about the Leukaemia Foundation’s National Research Program
    * Support our Vision to Cure and Mission to Care by making a donation

Click the link below or paste into web browser to go to the Leukaemia Website for more details.