• August 15, 2018, 09:01:26 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Be sure to check out http://www.enchantedhaven.com.au and buy some incredible and rare goods!

Author Topic: Top 10 Health Fears  (Read 3459 times)

Vicki

• Administrator
Top 10 Health Fears
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »

Dementia

What are your chances of having it?

Dementia is less common in younger people, but can strike at any age. An estimated 6.5% of over 65 have dementia.

Scary Symptoms

Disorientation, confusion, forgetfulness and personality changes.

What else could it be?

Memory lapses are normal with ageing, but they can also be due to stress, pain depression or infection.

Who's at greatest risk?

People over 65, heavy drinkers, and those with a family history of dementia.

When to worry

If your symptoms get steadily worse and interfere with everday activities.

What can you do?

Talk to your GP about treatments.

You can also visit www.alzheimers.org.au

- Good Health & Medicine

Vicki

• Administrator
Re: Top 10 Health Fears
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »

Heart Attack

One in five Australians are affected by heart disease, and about every 10 minutes one Australian dies from the condition!

Scary Symptons

Pain in the chest!

What else could it be?

Muscle strain, indigestion, chest infection.

Who's at greatest risk?

People over 50, smokers, people with high blood pressure, diabetes or a family history of heart disease and those who are overweight and/or don't get enough exercise.

When to worry?

If you're having trouble breathing or if the pain is crushing, last longer than five minutes or starts in the centre of the chest, perhaps radiating down the arm or shoulders, the neck or jaw!

What you can do?

Call an Ambulance!
Sit or lie down while you wait for the arrive.
Do NOT drive yourself to the hospital! and do not wait to see if the pain goes away on its own - even if it does it might still have been a heart attack

You can also visit www.heartfoundation.org.au

- Good Health & Medicine

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:13:45 PM by Vicki »

Vicki

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »

Breast Cancer

1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer by the age of 85. By the end of the year, an estimated 13,000 women and 95 men will be diagnosed with it.

Scary Symptoms

Changes in the breast - usually a lump or visible skin changes.

What else could it be?

A benign cyst or thickenend tissue.

Who's at greatest risk?

Women over 50, those with a personal or family history of the disease and people who are obese.

When to worry?

If there is a discharge from the nipple or if the skin of the affected breast is puckered or dimpled.

What can you do?

Any changes should be investigated. Although most are benign, even women with malignant cancers have a good chance of survival if it's treated early enough!

You can also visit www.nbcf.org.au

- Good Health & Medicine

Vicki

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »

Brain Tumor

Around 1400 Australians are diagnosed with malignant brain tumors each year!

Scary Symptoms

Severe headaches, fitting, loss of consciousness.

What else could it be?

A migraine.

Who's at greatest risk?

Brain cancer can strike anyone and in most people the cause remains unknown. Every year, about 115 cases are found among children. .

When to worry?

If you have seizures, loss of consciousness, weakness, difficulty speaking or personality changes.

What can you do?

Seek medical attention immediately.

You can also visit www.brainaustralia.org.au

On a personal note as you will all know i have a brain tumor myself, so i speak from experience on this one. If you feel that you are not getting the answers you want, then seek a second opinion. My own experience! My first CT Scan came back clear! Lucky for me i have a fantastic doctor who knows me and pushed for a neurologist to see me and to do an MRI, which found the brain tumor! I don't mean to scare people, but its a scary thought, that the first CT Scan came up clear, yet there was a brain tumor there. Subsequent CT Scans have shown the tumor! So please if you have doubt, seek a second opinion.

Love and healing,

Vicki

- Good Health & Medicine

Vicki

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:28:39 PM »

Stroke

Every 10 minutes 1 Australian has a stroke. It kills more women than breast cancer!

Scary Symptoms

Numbness, headache, general weakness, a loss of balance and trouble speaking or understanding

What else could it be?

A migraine or a nerve block.

Who's at greatest risk?

People with high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol, smokers and those who are overweight and/or physically inactive.

When to worry?

If you are experiencing weakness, loss of balance or difficulty speaking, or have a sudden onset of a severe headache, changed vision or paralysis in the arms, legs or face.

What you can do?

Get medical attention without delay, even if you the symptoms disappear as you may have experienced a mini stroke!

You can visit www.strokefoundation.com.au

- Good Health & Medicine

Vicki

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »

Type 2 Diabetes

1 in 14 adults (or an estimated 380 million people worldwide) are predicted to have diabetes by 2025. Your risk may depend on your age - prevalence is 23% in those over 75.

Scary Symptoms

Thirst, increased urination.

What else could it be?

Urinary Tract Infection

Who's at greatest risk?

People with a family history of diabetes, those who are overweight, heavy drinkers, the physically inactive and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.

When to worry?

If fatigues, skin infections or blurred vision accompany thirst and increased urination.

What you can do?

See your doctor as soon as possible for a fasting blood glucose test. The medical complications of untreated diabetes can be serious and even life threatening.

You can also visit www.diabetesaustralia.com.au

- Good Health & Medicine